Total Football News | All the news about Football | Page 20

Bury expelled from EFL: ‘Dark day for English football’ says Sports Minister Nigel Adams

Bury fans finally learned that their club would be expelled from the league late on Tuesday evening

Bury's expulsion from the English Football League is a "tragedy", says Sports Minister Nigel Adams.

The financially stricken League One club lost their place in the EFL late on Tuesday night after a proposed takeover by C&N Sporting Risk fell through earlier in the day.

"This is a very dark day for English football," Adams said in a statement.

"It is a tragedy for the fans of Bury, the local community and everyone connected with the historic club."

He added: "There will be a huge amount of anger and disbelief about how this happened.

"I have been in regular contact with the EFL and it is right that they closely review the processes at Bury to see if any lessons can be learned.

"The club's passionate fans don't deserve to go through this. I hope once the dust has settled they can begin to rebuild and take inspiration from other clubs that have done so before them."

'Insurmountable' financial challenges

The businessmen who pulled out of a plan to take over Bury say they could not overcome the financial problems the club was facing.

C&N Sporting Risk's bid was the only one the EFL would consider, despite reports of other potential buyers coming in around the 17:00 BST deadline on Tuesday,

"We were just going to face challenges that were insurmountable to allow us to do what we wanted to do if we took over the club," C&N's Rory Campbell told BBC Radio 5 Live.

But C&N said the club's complicated financial structures were too difficult for it to sort out before the deadline passed.

"We did absolutely everything we could to try and get everything in place to try and make sure the takeover went through," added Campbell's colleague Henry Newman.

"Ultimately though, it was six years of a combination of financial mismanagement, errors in governance and issues that ultimately meant that to unravel them, in what was a short period of time, were incredibly difficult."

'Something like this can't happen again'

While neither Campbell nor Newman would go into specifics about the finances of the club, Bury had complicated leasing arrangements for their Gigg Lane ground, car parks and had a number of outstanding loans.

"The financial structures that were put in place were something that I'd never seen before and certainly were unsustainable," Newman added.

"My sympathy really does go out to the community as a whole at Bury because ultimately they're the ones that have suffered as a result of this.

"It was financially unsustainable and it's absolutely imperative that structures are put in place to ensure that something like this can't happen again."

Fans to discuss Bury future

Bury supporters have directed their anger at owner Steve Dale, who bought the club in December 2018

The focus now turns to what next for Bury.

With the club expelled from the EFL, they will not be able to play again until next season at the earliest, and then it will be at a non-league level.

The Football Association have also confirmed that Bury will "no longer be able to participate" in this season's FA Cup following Tuesday's events.

The FA added: "If the club re-forms, we look forward to them applying to make an application to The Football Association to rejoin league competition further down the English football pyramid from the 2020-21 season."

"We have got a meeting this morning to look at our next move. What we would like to do is try and save this football club," Dave Giffard, chair of Forever Bury Supporters Club, told BBC Breakfast.

"If we have to restart as a phoenix club we would like to get hold of this ground. We have the support of the council."

'The proof of funding was there'

Giffard was also critical of the EFL, which expelled the club despite reports of late bids for Bury coming in on Tuesday.

"The annoying thing is we had three more buyers there and the League wanted exclusivity with the one deal to concentrate on getting that through," he said.

"So we threw the other three in on the table last night. The proof of funding was there. Why they couldn't give us that little bit more time to get one over the line, we don't know.

"They have made their decision. Whether we have a right of appeal I don't know."

The Professional Footballers' Association, which has stepped in to help pay some of the players' wages in recent months, said it will "continue to support all of our members who have been impacted by the current situation, including former players, the remaining players who are contracted at the club and also those who were hoping to sign contracts".

Their statement added: "Our thoughts in particular go out to the supporters, the town and the wider community who will be devastated by this news."

'Most clubs are paying too much for players'

Bury's expulsion follows success on the pitch last season when they finished second in League Two and won promotion back to the third tier, having been relegated in 2018.

Former Football Association chairman Greg Dyke says Bury's problems stemmed from chasing promotion without the finances to pay for it.

"Over the years some quite strange people have taken over and run football clubs and they don't necessarily know how to run them," he told BBC Radio 5 Live.

"The real issue is most football clubs at the lower levels are paying too much for the players. What is remarkable is that this doesn't happen more often.

"In the end if you're paying so much to buy players or for their wages and you're not getting that sort of money in, it's not a business at all is it?

"Whether the Football League has got the nerve to bring in wage caps and all those sorts of things will be interesting."


This news item was provided by the BBC Sport - Football website - the original link is: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49493929

Bilic and Harris charged by FA

Both managers have until Friday, August 30 to reply

Last Updated: 28/08/19 11:38am

Slaven Bilic admitted after the game that he must 'control himself' in future

Slaven Bilic admitted after the game that he must 'control himself' in future

West Brom's Slaven Bilic and Millwall's Neil Harris have been charged by the FA following Saturday's games against Derby and Middlesbrough.

Harris was sent to the stands after appearing to strike Middlesbrough first-team coach Leo Percovich as he tried to get the ball back for his team to take a free kick, with his Millwall side battling back to claim a 1-1 draw.

Speaking after the match, Harris said: "He's got the ball under his arm, and I sort of wanted to hit the ball from under his arm. It wasn't aimed at the coaching staff, but he's moved and I've hit his arm.

Neil Harris defended his actions as Millwall drew at Middlesbrough

Neil Harris defended his actions as Millwall drew at Middlesbrough

"There's no issue there, and I was a little bit surprised I was sent to the stand for it."

1:48 Highlights of the Sky Bet Championship match between Middlesbrough and Millwall

Highlights of the Sky Bet Championship match between Middlesbrough and Millwall

West Brom, meanwhile, drew 1-1 against Derby in a controversial clash at Pride Park on Saturday, with two penalties given against Bilic's side.

The second spot-kick on 43 minutes was somewhat harsh for a handball by Filip Krovinovic, with Bilic visibly unhappy and ultimately dismissed from the technical area for his reaction.

2:26 Highlights of the Sky Bet Championship match between Derby and West Brom

Highlights of the Sky Bet Championship match between Derby and West Brom

Speaking after the game, he told Sky Sports: "Did I overreact? From their point of view I did but from my point of view I didn't. I will have to work on it and control myself."

Both managers have until Friday, August 30 to reply.

Soccer Saturday Super 6 is Back

FREE TO PLAY: £2m jackpot if 2m Players Enter


This news item was provided by the
SkySports | News website - the original link is: https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11688/11796044/west-broms-slaven-bilic-and-millwalls-neil-harris-charged-by-fa

Arsenal v Wolverhampton Wanderers Ticket Info

Arsenal v Wolverhampton Wanderers

Premier League

Saturday, November 2, 2019

Emirates Stadium

Kick Off: 15:00

This fixture is still subject to change.

This is a Category B fixture. Gold Season Ticket Holders, please click here for further information on match categorisation.

Tickets will go on sale to Silver, Purple, Cannon and Junior Gunner Members at 10am on Monday, September 2, 2019. (Booking fees apply)  

An allocation of tickets will go on sale to Red members at 10am on Wednesday, October 2, 2019. (Booking fees apply)  

Important Booking Information

Please note the safety polices in place at Emirates Stadium concerning children under 14 years of age attending fixtures.  Please ensure you have read through this information before purchasing your tickets. For further details please click here. Children who are under 14 years of age need to be accompanied by an adult who is 18 or over when attending fixtures at Emirates Stadium.

Children aged between 0-3 are not permitted to sit in the following rows when attending fixtures at Emirates stadium;

Lower Tier - Rows 1-20

Club Level -  Row 1

Upper Tier -  Row 1

Want to join the Red, Cannon Red or Junior Gunner memberships? Please Click Here

Tickets can be purchased in the following ways;

Online and Credit Card Telephone Bookings

Please note that if you are purchasing tickets for other Arsenal Members, please ensure that each additional Member is assigned to your Network prior to your transaction.

Click here to purchase seats online in all available areas of the stadium. (Booking fees apply)

To make a Telephone Booking, please call on 0344 277 3625 or if calling from overseas please call 0207 649 9003. (Booking fees apply)

For the Family Enclosure area Silver, Cannon and Junior Gunner members please call on 0207 619 5000 (option 1). (Booking fees apply)

Junior Gunner Members can only purchase tickets outside the Family Enclosure once the area is sold out.

You will need to quote the following information (If you need to update your client details, please do so prior to booking):

  • Valid password
  • Valid email address
  • Valid Membership number of each ticket
  • Credit/debit card details

Once a successful booking has been made, your  Membership card will be activated & you will be sent a confirmation email which will include the seat details.

All supporters are requested to print a copy of the confirmation email and bring it to the match, together with their membership card, in order to locate their seat and gain access to the stadium

Disabled Online Bookings

Purple members please click here and login to purchase in the VI/Ambulant or Wheelchair section. (Booking fees apply)  

Matchday Hospitality Packages for this fixture

Visit our official Matchday Hospitality page to view availability or call 0345 262 0001 and select option 2 for more information.

Copyright 2019 The Arsenal Football Club plc. Permission to use quotations from this article is granted subject to appropriate credit being given to www.arsenal.com as the source.

Arsene Wenger
This news item was provided by the Arsenal FC News Feed website - the original link is: http://feeds.arsenal.com/~r/arsenal-news/~3/l7dED1CTKS4/wolves

Derby’s winless record finally surpassed

Last Updated: 28/08/19 8:15am

Derby won just one Premier League game during the 2007-08 season

Derby won just one Premier League game during the 2007-08 season

Derby's world-record top-flight winless run of 32 games has been broken by Mexican side Tiburones Rojos de Veracruz.

The Liga MX team set a new world record of 33 on Tuesday, losing 5-0 to Queretaro, surpassing the 32-match winless run set by Derby in the 2007/08 Premier League season.

Tiburones Rojos de Veracruz saw their losing streak begin on August 25, 2018 and have lost 25 times and drawn eight matches.

Derby, who were relegated after the 2007-08 season and have not returned to the Premier League since, finished their winless run with 25 defeats and seven draws.

1:50 Highlights of the Carabao Cup second round match between Nottingham Forest and Derby

Highlights of the Carabao Cup second round match between Nottingham Forest and Derby

Tiburones Rojos de Veracruz will try to put an end to their streak next Friday, when they play Monarcas Morelia.

Five managers have coached the team that only avoided relegation last season after paying a $6m (£4.9m) fine, a rule in Mexico established two years ago.

Enrique Meza, the 77-year-old veteran head coach, had previously won four league titles and was Mexico's national boss.

However, he was unable to avoid the mark and announced his resignation at a news conference at the following match.


This news item was provided by the SkySports | News website - the original link is: https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11688/11795940/derbys-world-record-winless-run-surpassed-by-tiburones-rojos-de-veracru-in-mexico

Bury expelled by English Football League after takeover collapses

Bury fans have stepped up protests at Gigg Lane since last week

Bury have been expelled by the English Football League after a takeover bid from C&N Sporting Risk collapsed.

The League One club had been given until 17:00 BST on Tuesday to complete the deal, having been granted an extension to Friday's initial deadline.

Bury are the first team to drop out of the EFL since Maidstone's liquidation in 1992.

League One will comprise 23 clubs for the rest of the season, with only three teams to be relegated.

"When the news broke at Gigg Lane, fans instantly let out a huge cry - for help, of disbelief," said BBC Radio Manchester's Mike Minay.

"Fans walked away in instant tears, some crouching down to the floor."

EFL executive chair Debbie Jevans said it was "one of the darkest days" in the league's history, and added: "I understand this will be a deeply upsetting and devastating time for Bury's players, staff, supporters and the wider community.

"There is no doubt today's news will be felt across the entire football family."

Bolton Wanderers, also of League One, have been given 14 days to avoid being expelled themselves, with their prospective takeover by Football Ventures (Whites) Limited still yet to go through.

In a statement on Monday, the club's administrators warned they are on the brink of liquidation, saying if they were unable to resurrect the move the club was "not in a position to carry on trading".

However they said on Tuesday they will "continue to work through the night" to complete a deal, adding that there will be another update "as soon as possible".

'No-one wanted to be in this position'

The EFL had suspended each of Bury's first six fixtures this season, requesting evidence the Shakers could pay off creditors and had the funding to make it through the campaign.

In a statement at 23:05 BST on Tuesday, the league said it decided "after a long and detailed discussion" to withdraw Bury's EFL membership "with enormous regret".

"No-one wanted to be in this position but following repeated missed deadlines, the suspension of five league fixtures, in addition to not receiving the evidence we required in regard to financial commitments and a possible takeover not materialising; the EFL board has been forced to take the most difficult of decisions," Jevans said.

Bury were initially given until 23:59 BST on Friday to either provide the required information or find a buyer to take them over.

With the third-tier side effectively an hour from being thrown out of the EFL, owner Steve Dale told BBC Radio Manchester he had sold the club and they were set to survive.

That news subsequently secured them an extension until Tuesday to complete the deal, but C&N Sporting Risk quickly expressed concern it was still not enough time.

An estimated 300 volunteers turned up at the club's Gigg Lane home on Tuesday to help get the ground ready for Saturday's scheduled game against Doncaster Rovers, but their efforts were in vain.

Reacting to news of the Shakers' expulsion, Bury North MP James Frith was critical of the EFL and claimed there was a lack of consistency in how it has treated the situations at Bury and Bolton - allowing Bolton to play games but not Bury, for example.

"I'm angry. My head is in my hands. I feel Bury is the victim… and those left to pick up the pieces are the town and the community. Yes we will rise again and keep the faith but we shouldn't be at this point," he told BBC Radio 5 Live.

"We have to make this a moment in time for lower league football. We are just the latest victim of this. I have had clubs speak to me who are a default payment on a mortgage away from this."

Bury supporters cleaned the stadium in the hope that their game on Saturday would go ahead

Founded in 1885 and first elected to the EFL nine years later, Bury were playing in what is now known as the Championship as recently as 1999 and have twice won the FA Cup.

No club has ever dropped out of the third tier before, and the Shakers also become the first FA Cup winners to have been expelled by the EFL.

England women's manager Phil Neville, whose mother Jill resigned as Bury's club secretary last week, described their demise as an "absolute disgrace" on Friday.

Supporters staged numerous protests in the build-up to the deadline, with former director Joy Hart handcuffing herself to a drainpipe outside their ground and a coffin reading 'RIP Bury FC 1885-?' was placed at the directors' entrance.

Greater Manchester Mayor Andy Burnham also wrote to EFL chief Jevans asking for the club to be granted more time "given the urgency of Bury's plight".