Total Football News | All the news about Football | Page 2

Fabian Delph: Man City midfielder joins Everton on three-year deal

Delph featured in the Nations League semi-final for England against the Netherlands in June

Everton have signed midfielder Fabian Delph from Manchester City on a three-year deal.

The 29-year-old, who had one year left on his contract at the Etihad Stadium, joins for a fee worth up to £10m.

The midfielder has linked up with Marco Silva's squad on their training camp in Switzerland.

The former Aston Villa player, who has made 20 appearances for England, was part of the squad at the World Cup and the recent Uefa Nations League Finals.

Delph played 22 times in City's Premier League-winning season of 2017/18, but his chances of regular football under Pep Guardiola have decreased with the arrival of £60m club record signing Rodri from Atletico Madrid.

"The club that I've been at has had success, especially in the last two seasons, but over the last four years we managed to win trophies," he told Everton's website.

"I wanted to be playing more regularly and the opportunity to come and play for Everton was too good of an opportunity to turn down."

Everton, who finished eighth in the Premier League last season, brought in Portuguese midfielder Andre Gomes earlier in July and boss Silva says Delph will add to the squad on and off the pitch.

"When I look to bring a new player into our squad, the first thing I look for above all the other things is quality and Fabian is a player with high quality," said Silva.

"But what they can bring to our dressing room is also important and if you can put those two things together then that can only be good for the club."


This news item was provided by the BBC Sport - Football website - the original link is: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48998009

Bruce resigns from Sheffield Wednesday

Last Updated: 15/07/19 3:04pm

Steve Bruce has resigned as manager of Sheffield Wednesday

Steve Bruce has resigned as manager of Sheffield Wednesday

Steve Bruce has resigned as Sheffield Wednesday manager, Sky Sports News understands.

It comes after he confirmed over the weekend that he had held talks with Newcastle to become Rafael Benitez's successor.

The 58-year-old led Wednesday to a 12th-place finish in the Sky Bet Championship last season after taking over from Dutchman Jos Luhukay in January.

Newcastle made an official approach for Bruce last week and on Saturday, Bruce told Sky Sports News: "It's in the hands of the two clubs at the moment. There is nothing really to talk about until the two clubs reach some sort of a compromise.

"I have had a conversation yes.

"It has happened so quickly that I have to take stock of the situation, it's in the hands of both clubs and I will see where it develops over the next 24 to 48 hours.

0:56 Sheffield Wednesday boss Steve Bruce has confirmed he has held talks with Newcastle about succeeding Rafael Benitez as manager of his hometown club.

Sheffield Wednesday boss Steve Bruce has confirmed he has held talks with Newcastle about succeeding Rafael Benitez as manager of his hometown club.

"It's football and has come from nowhere in the last two or three days, so we will see what this weekend brings."

Sky sources reported last week that Sheffield Wednesday were holding out for a compensation fee greater than originally expected by Newcastle, which held up the potential deal.

Newcastle-born boss Bruce previously managed the Magpies' North-East rivals Sunderland.

Previous Newcastle manager Benitez left the club following the expiry of his contract and took charge at Chinese Super League side Dalian Yifang.

The Newcastle squad is currently in China without a manager, preparing to take on Wolves in the Premier League Asia Trophy.

Sky Sports Fantasy Football is Back

FREE TO PLAY: Get your Head in the Game

Sky Sports Fantasy Football is Back

FREE TO PLAY: Get your Head in the Game


This news item was provided by the
SkySports | News website - the original link is: https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11688/11763500/steve-bruce-resigns-as-sheffield-wednesday-boss-amid-newcastle-interest

Bruce resigns from Sheffield Wednesday

Last Updated: 15/07/19 3:04pm

Steve Bruce has resigned as manager of Sheffield Wednesday

Steve Bruce has resigned as manager of Sheffield Wednesday

Steve Bruce has resigned as Sheffield Wednesday manager, Sky Sports News understands.

It comes after he confirmed over the weekend that he had held talks with Newcastle to become Rafael Benitez's successor.

The 58-year-old led Wednesday to a 12th-place finish in the Sky Bet Championship last season after taking over from Dutchman Jos Luhukay in January.

Newcastle made an official approach for Bruce last week and on Saturday, Bruce told Sky Sports News: "It's in the hands of the two clubs at the moment. There is nothing really to talk about until the two clubs reach some sort of a compromise.

"I have had a conversation yes.

"It has happened so quickly that I have to take stock of the situation, it's in the hands of both clubs and I will see where it develops over the next 24 to 48 hours.

0:56 Sheffield Wednesday boss Steve Bruce has confirmed he has held talks with Newcastle about succeeding Rafael Benitez as manager of his hometown club.

Sheffield Wednesday boss Steve Bruce has confirmed he has held talks with Newcastle about succeeding Rafael Benitez as manager of his hometown club.

"It's football and has come from nowhere in the last two or three days, so we will see what this weekend brings."

Sky sources reported last week that Sheffield Wednesday were holding out for a compensation fee greater than originally expected by Newcastle, which held up the potential deal.

Newcastle-born boss Bruce previously managed the Magpies' North-East rivals Sunderland.

Previous Newcastle manager Benitez left the club following the expiry of his contract and took charge at Chinese Super League side Dalian Yifang.

The Newcastle squad is currently in China without a manager, preparing to take on Wolves in the Premier League Asia Trophy.

Sky Sports Fantasy Football is Back

FREE TO PLAY: Get your Head in the Game

Sky Sports Fantasy Football is Back

FREE TO PLAY: Get your Head in the Game


This news item was provided by the
SkySports | News website - the original link is: https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11688/11763500/steve-bruce-resigns-as-sheffield-wednesday-boss-amid-newcastle-interest

Sheff Utd’s £15m McBurnie bid rejected

Last Updated: 15/07/19 1:37pm

Sheffield United's bid for Oli McBurnie has been rejected

Sheffield United's bid for Oli McBurnie has been rejected

Sheffield United have seen a bid of £15m rejected by Swansea for striker Oli McBurnie, Sky Sports News understands.

McBurnie scored 22 league goals last season as Swansea finished 10th in the Sky Bet Championship.

The 23-year-old, who signed a three-year deal - with the option of a fourth year - last summer, scored in both of Swansea's victories over the Blades last season.

Sheffield United have already signed Callum Robinson for a club-record fee from Preston, as well as Luke Freeman and Phil Jagielka ahead of their return to the Premier League.

Callum Robinson joined Sheffield United from Preston

Callum Robinson joined Sheffield United from Preston

Swansea, meanwhile, are considering tabling a season-long loan offer to Chelsea for attacking midfielder Kasey Palmer, Sky sources understand.

Follow the Summer Transfer Window on Sky Sports

Sky Sports News is home to three new shows dedicated to bringing you the very latest news from this summer's transfer market.

Start your day with Good Morning Transfers at 9am as our team of reporters and pundits bring you the latest news and insight.

Transfer Talk then follows at midday, delivering the biggest stories that matter to you. And join us at 7pm for the definitive round-up of the day's news with The Transfer Show.

And as well as tuning into Sky Sports News, don't miss a thing with our dedicated Transfer Centre blog.

There's also the Transfer Talk Podcast, the daily UK, Regional and European Paper Talk, plus features across skysports.com and the Sky Sports app.

Sky Sports Fantasy Football is Back

FREE TO PLAY: Get your Head in the Game


This news item was provided by the
SkySports | News website - the original link is: https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11688/11763634/oli-mcburnie-sheffield-uniteds-bid-for-swansea-striker-rejected

AFCON 2019: Iwobi suffers semi-final heartbreak

The group stage draw for the EFL Trophy took place on Friday afternoon. Read on to find out who our youngsters will be playing in the forthcoming 2019/20 season.

Steve Bould’s side are set to face Peterborough United, Cambridge United and Northampton Town in Group H (Southern) of the EFL Trophy.

All first ties will be played week commencing Monday, September 2.

This will be our under-21s second consecutive appearance in the EFL Trophy, having made their debut in the competition last season under the guidance of Freddie Ljungberg.

Our youngsters cruised to victories over Coventry City and Forest Green Rovers, but they were unfortunately knocked out in the second round by Portsmouth, the eventual winners.

Copyright 2019 The Arsenal Football Club plc. Permission to use quotations from this article is granted subject to appropriate credit being given to www.arsenal.com as the source.

Arsene Wenger
This news item was provided by the Arsenal FC News Feed website - the original link is: http://feeds.arsenal.com/~r/arsenal-news/~3/QBA6JYulsc4/afcon-2019-iwobi-suffers-semi-final-heartbreak